We propose an algorithm for separating the foreground(mainly text and line graphics) from the smoothly varying background in screen content images. The proposed method is designed based on the assumption that the background part of the image is smoothly varying and can be represented by a linear combination of a few smoothly varying basis functions,while the foreground text and graphics create sharp discontinuity and cannot be modeled by this smooth representation.The algorithm separates the background and foreground using a least absolute deviation method to fit the smooth model to the image pixels. This algorithm has been tested on several images from HEVC standard test sequences for screen content coding, and is shown to have superior performance over other popular methods, such as k-means clustering based segmentation in DjVu and shape primitive extraction and coding(SPEC) algorithm. Such background/foreground segmentation are important pre-processing steps for text extraction and separate coding of background and foreground for compression of screen content image.
- Shervin Minaee and Yao Wang, "Screen Content Image Segmentation Using Robust Regression and Sparse Decomposition," IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2016.
- Shervin Minaee and Yao Wang, "Screen Content Image Segmentation Using Sparse Decomposition and Total Variation Minimization," International Conference on Image Processing, IEEE, 2016.
- Shervin Minaee and Yao Wang, "Image Segmentation Using Overlapping Group Sparsity,", Signal Processing in Medicine and Biology Symposium, IEEE, 2016.
- Shervin Minaee and Yao Wang, "Screen Content Image Segmentation Using Least Absolute Deviation Fitting," International Conference on Image Processing, IEEE, 2015.
- Shervin Minaee, Amirali Abdolrashidi, and Yao Wang, "Screen content image segmentation using sparse-smooth decomposition," 49th asilomar conference on signals, systems and computers, 2015.