Multicast of popular applications to handheld devices, such as video delivery of a soccer game or headline news, enables delivery of information in a bandwidth efficient manner. The aim of this project is to study the interplay between cooperation and multicast and design a decentralized and robust cooperative MAC-PHY. Cooperative protocols, while being a natural ﬁt to multicasting, now need to be designed to ensure high quality reception in all possible directions in the network unlike the unicast case where reliability is required at a single destination node. The MAC-PHY also needs to ensure the delay requirements at each node. For video applications, received quality can also vary across the network, and scalable video coding techniques can be integrated with the cooperative MAC-PHY, leading to a cross-layer design that spans the application layer through the physical layer.
This research is partially funded by NSF, WICAT, CATT.
- O. Alay, P. Liu, Y. Wang, E. Erkip and S. S. Panwar, "Cooperative Layered Video Multicast using Randomized Distributed Space Time Codes", IEEE Trans. Multimedia, vol.13, no.5, pp.1127-1140, Oct. 2011.
- O. Alay, Z. Guo, Y. Wang, E. Erkip, S. Panwar, "Enhanced Parity Packet Transmission for Video Multicast using R-DSTC", IEEE PIMRC, July 2010.
- O. Alay, Y. Wang, E. Erkip, S. Panwar, "Wireless Video Multicast using R-DSTC", IEEE ComSoc E-Letter of Multimedia Communications Technical Committee, Volume 5, No 5, 2010, pp 44-47.
- O. Alay, Pei Liu, Zhili Guo, Luqin Wang, Y. Wang, E. Erkip, S. Panwar, "Cooperative Layered Video Multicast using Randomized Distributed Space-time Codes", in Proceedings of IEEE Infocom MOVID Workshop, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, April, 2009.
- O. Alay, X. Pan, E. Erkip and Y. Wang, "Layered Randomized Cooperative Multicast for Lossy Data: A Superposition Approach", in Proceedings of IEEE CISS, Baltimore, MD, March 2009.
- O. Alay, R. Ding, E. Erkip, Y. Wang and A. Scaglione, "Layered randomized cooperation for multicast", in Proceedings of IEEE 42nd Annual Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Pacific Grove, CA, October 2008 (invited).